Supplies you will need to dye the rice:
Inexpensive White Rice
Food Coloring- I used fluorescent and regular dye
Plastic Locking Sandwich bags
Plate to dry rice on
Storage containers with tight lids
The recipe is quite simple- one cup rice + 1 tablespoon rubbing alcohol + 4-8 drops food coloring per batch of rice. You can create quite a few bright colors using a little color theory and trial and error- I even made a blackish brown for sunflower centers today.
Creating your mosaic-
- Download simple stained glass patterns from the internet with little detail like geometric shapes, flowers, butterflies and birds.
- Cut out pattern and glue it to a black card stock backgroud to give the mosaic stability ( it becomes quite heavy)
|Geometic Design Starting to come together|
- Use thick glue to adhere rice like Tacky Glue.
- Work only a small section at a time, spreading glue to the edges of the section with a Q-tip.It works best to do all the sections of the mosaic with the same color before moving to the next color. (Creates less "confetti"rice )
- Dump excess in a plastic plate so it can be reused
- Fill in any places where the rice is missing until completed