|My first try!|
Here are some quick instructions on supplies you will need and how to create this artwork:
- I bought 8 x 10 canvases at Michaels (10 for 19.99 regularly but with their 40% off coupon- its a deal at $11.99)
- To save time in class, I went ahead and chose colorful magazine pages that we could use, tore them out and cut them into random sized pieces. (Sometimes we even cut those pieces down to make the collages a little morevisually interesting).
- I downloaded a couple of different stock versions of bird artwork and created templates for my students to trace with a Sharpie (although I will probably do this step for my Memory Care students).
- Then using Mod Podge or watered down glue, create a collage on the unpainted canvas- cover the whole thing. Don't worry if all of the edges are perfectly glued down- it adds nice texture if there are little imperfections.
- The next step is to carefully trace the Bird Template onto your collage.
- Then with acrylic paint- paint around your bird design in your background color onto. You don't have to cover the collage background completely- letting a little of the color show through adds interesting texture to the artwork.
- Then water down a little brown acrylic paint and lightly brush over the entire canvas- it is best to work is smaller areas and wipe off the excess as you go.
- Once you have antiqued your canvas you can dry brush accent colors onto the canvas and rub off excess or work it into the canvas as you like.
- As a finishing touch, I added some stamped images and words to my finished work
Will post photos of our finished work later on this week!
Till then- Have a great week and Stay Creative!