Monday, August 1, 2011

Patchwork Bird Collage- Quick Tutorial

One of my very favorite projects that we started in July is another mixed media project that includes collage, acrylic paint techniques, and stamping.  I actually saw this project on blog-you can check it out here:  "http://www.crapivemade.com/ and liked it so much that I immediately got all the supplies together and did a couple of versions of my own.

My first try!
I loved it so much that I took the project to Silverado in Plano where we have already started our collages.  Some of my students are really excited about this project and are looking forward to finishing up this week.

Here are some quick instructions on supplies you will need and how to create this artwork:
  • I bought 8 x 10 canvases at Michaels (10 for 19.99 regularly but with their 40% off coupon- its a deal at $11.99) 
  • To save time in class, I went ahead and chose colorful magazine pages that we could use, tore them out and cut them into random sized pieces.  (Sometimes we even cut those pieces down to make the  collages a little morevisually interesting). 
  • I downloaded a couple of different stock versions of bird artwork and created templates for my students to trace with a Sharpie (although I will probably do this step for my Memory Care students).
  • Then using Mod Podge or watered down glue, create a collage on the unpainted canvas- cover the whole thing.  Don't worry if all of the edges are perfectly glued down- it adds nice texture if there are little imperfections.
For my first class- this was as far as we went in the process.  I only teach for about an hour- and the canvases needed to dry before we went to the next step.  I am going to trace the bird template for them before I bring the canvases back to them this week.
  • The next step is to carefully trace the Bird Template onto your collage.
  • Then with acrylic paint- paint around your bird design in your background color onto.  You don't have to cover the collage background completely- letting a little of the color show through adds interesting texture to the artwork.
  • Then water down a little brown acrylic paint and lightly brush over the entire canvas- it is best to work is smaller areas and wipe off the excess as you go.
  • Once you have antiqued your canvas you can dry brush accent colors onto the canvas and rub off excess or work it into the canvas as you like.
  • As a finishing touch, I added some stamped images and words to my finished work
I have to say this is one of my favorite projects so far.  It is really a pretty simple project- but you get a lot of impact for your effort.

Will post photos of our finished work later on this week!

Till then- Have a great week and Stay Creative!


Stephane

1 comment:

  1. I love the bird stencil collage! It turned out beautifully! Can't wait to see more samples of what the other artists made. :)

    Thanks for the great idea!
    Margaux, of EverbloomingArt

    ReplyDelete